Thursday, November 20, 2014

ULA Circuit Backpack


    I purchaed the ULA Circuit during the summer of 2014, and have hiked about 200 miles with it. I opted for the XL "S" straps, and the large hip belt and they both fit well. (I'm 6'3", 221lbs, 34-35" waist). The quality of the backpack is outstanding, and it doesn't feel fragile at all. I also opted for the slightly heavier (2 oz- I believe) camo-material. I removed the water bladder holder that was clipped inside the pack, and now just use two water bottles that are carried on either side of the pack in nice pouches. I also really like the size of the hip belt pockets. I can fit almost an entire days worth of snacks in one side, and use the other side for my phone, bug stuff and other equipment. I purchased a Zpacks shoulder strap pocket that I put on the right strap and keep my wind shirt and pants inside. Another thing I really like about the pack is the large mesh pocket and elastic cord that is on the back of the pack. It is so nice to pull off a wet shirt or extra dirty/wet clothing and stuff it inside the pocket to deal with later (or allow it to dry). I've carried around 30 pounds of gear in it with no problems. I think the limit would be around 35-37 pounds.
   The only problem I have with the pack is figuring out which way to roll the top closed. The top is similar to a dry bag roll system with buckle. It probably doesn't matter (it's never leaked, and I've hiked in a LOT of rain), but there is no clear answer. When the pack is stuffed full, it seems best to roll the top so more black material is showing. A less full pack, the camo-showing roll is better. It doesn't really  matter, I suppose.
Pack with Zpack shoulder pocket

Water pouches with draw cord

1.5 quart water bottle-very secure

As example-shoulder straps have cords to hold H2O bottles-I don't use them


Back mesh pocket and elastic cord- very cool


tried to show height of pack-not so good pic


No comments:

Post a Comment